Tuesday, June 03, 2008

School's...Out...For...Summer

It’s the last day of school here in Champaign, which comes with a mixed bag of emotions and expectations. Two of my kids are giddy excited about the freedom of summer and one is sad because she loves school and organized activities. One was singing Alice Cooper this morning.

I will get to stay up later at night and sleep in later in the morning, but the extra structure I now need to provide to the kid’s days will seriously cut into my writing routine. Following Jill’s inspiration of the last few summers, we will institute a home policy for the kids of one outing, one work project, and one fun thing to do each day, as defined by the parents. We do a pretty good job at this at the beginning, but by the end of summer, making your bed counts as work and an afternoon popsicle counts as the fun thing.

My writing goals this summer are to:

  1. Get a Smile Politely column up once a week.

  2. Finish a short story. I’m hoping the week the kids all go to camp will contribute heavily to this.

  3. Post at least 2 blog entries per week. I’ve been getting in almost one post per workday over the last 6 months, but I doubt I’ll be able to keep that up this summer. I know, I know, how hard is it to put up a video of some creepy preacher I found on the internet? It’s actually harder than you might think, given how many I have to reject that are inappropriate. You might also find it hard to believe that I do reject videos for inappropriateness on this blog. My filter might be loose, but I do have one. And the internet is a scary and dangerous place, I'm told.
The kids' one hour of school today is almost done, so this post must end. At right is what it feels like right about now. It looks like it could be fun, but the rocks at the bottom are not pictured.

3 comments:

Fingtree said...

I can relate to the picture, but without the rocks in my case. My youngest son graduated from our Alma Mater Sunday. I cannot describe the liberating renascent feeling of walking out of the graduation ceremony.

Dan S said...

Congratulations Kent! Now, you just have to wait for grandchildren to attend there :)

David Wright said...

I like Jill's structure. I will adopt it. For my kid. For myself.

dw