Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Blago in Jail

Wow - Gov. Blagojevich is in jail this morning for attempting to sell Obama's senate seat to the highest bidder. What a scumbag.

Gov. Blagojevich considered the Senate seat vacated by Barack Obama “golden” and vowed he was “just not giving it up for [expletive] nothing. I’m not gonna do it,” according to federal charges unsealed today against the governor.

Blagojevich held the power to fill the vacancy and, he made clear, if he couldn’t find anyone willing to pay for it, “I can always use it. I can parachute me there,” a federal affidavit states.


Apparently, all Obama was willing to give Blago was "appreciation" in return for picking the senator he wanted, and that made Blago mad. Once again, Obama's judgement is right on. I would have hated to see him go down because of Blago.

This is good news, actually. Blago won't be smearing the name of Democrats for very much longer, and his political career is now over.

I just wish one of the requirements for holding office was random hidden microphone checks. Sunlight is the best disinfectant.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps the governer was going to use the money to feed the poor. Just think of how much social good could have been accomplished. I don't think we should be so harsh to judge his motives.

After all, even the Bible teaches how Joseph's brothers bribed Pharoh to get food.

Anonymous said...

As I read this story I was reminded of a meeting I once went to (in D.C.) that was attended by folks from all kinds of international development organizations. We were beginning to plan a session on aid and corruption when one woman spoke up and suggested in all seriousness that those from Chicago should speak first. I can't say I was so surprised when this news broke...

And on a similar note, I was reading somewhere an analysis done of Obama before he entered the presidential race--basically said he was too nice for Chicago politics, so he had to head to the national scene.

Fingtree said...

It's been hilarious how the Republican's have been desperately attempting to tie this to Obama for a 'Monica' like scandal.

Anonymous said...

THIS is why I've been so disallusioned about voting. And like roaches, for every one you squash, there a thousand still squirming around unseen.

Dan S said...

Yea, but voting is deciding not to squash the roach. Roaches still need to be squashed.

Anonymous said...

As a lifelong Chicagoan, the only thing that surprised me and my friends was the stupidity of Gov. Blago -- you want to talk, there's a nice new bathhouse on North Pulaski where you can't be "somebody nobody sent," everyone's naked and there's no way any electronic device would survive the heat and humidity! As for Obama being "nice," let's just say he'll do what he has to do to get done what he wants to get done, but in true Chicago style, there'll be plenty of layers between him and the deed.